Monday, May 27, 2013

Music on My Mind



Richie Havens, "All Along the Watchtower". A Bob Dylan song originally, with its most famous cover by Jimi Hendrix, which in turn is being adapted here. At least according to Dylan, the song is backwards: the last stanza happens first, and the first stanza last, so that we are actually thinking backwards through the events.

Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink:
arise, ye princes, and anoint the shield.
For thus hath the Lord said unto me,
Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth.
And he saw a chariot with a couple of horsemen,
a chariot of asses, and a chariot of camels;
and he hearkened diligently with much heed.
And he cried, A lion:
My lord, I stand continually upon the watchtower in the daytime,
and I am set in my ward whole nights:
And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen.
And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen;
and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground.
(Isaiah 21:5-9)